What Extra Benefits Does Medicare Advantage Include?
If you are close to 65 years old or under 65 with certain disabilities and getting ready to sign up for Medicare, you might be trying to decide whether a Medicare Advantage (Part C) policy is the right solution to your healthcare needs.
Medicare Benefits Solutions
Sep 8, 2020
Medicare Advantage (MA) plans provide an alternative to Original Medicare. You can get Original Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) and Part B (medical insurance), or you can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan that will include the same Part A and Part B benefits along with extra benefits not included in Original Medicare.
It is worth your time to have a look at what plans private insurance companies are selling in your area and make comparisons to see if the cost differences outweigh the benefits covered.
What additional benefits do Medicare Advantage plans include?MA plans are sold by private healthcare providers in most states of the United States. All MA plans are required by law to cover the same services and supplies as those covered by Original Medicare Parts A and B. Private providers do have the option to include additional benefit they choose.
The extra benefits that are commonly offered by many plans across the country are the following:
- Routine dental care. Some plans do include some coverage for dentures or partials, or their repair.
- Routine vision care. Some plans may have coverage for eyeglasses or contacts also.
- Routine hearing care. Some plans have coverage for hearing aids.
- Prescription drug coverage (Part D). Each plan has its own formulary, or list of drugs, that are covered.
- Fitness program membership
- Home safety devices and personal emergency response systems to help reduce injury risk. You can have a health care provider check out your home for risk areas and let you know where you may need to add the safety devices.
- Transportation costs for going to and from health-related services like your physicians or pharmacy
- Coverage for emergency health care outside the U.S.
- Over-the-counter medications and health supplies
- Adult day-care services
- Nicotine replacement therapy
- Social worker teleservices
- Caregiver support services
- Telehealth advice services with a nurse or physician on a 24/7 basis
- Nutrition counseling through online audio health libraries
- Indoor air quality monitors
- Meal delivery
- Social services
Taking good care your vision, hearing, dental, and physical fitness is a vital part of staying healthy and preventing more serious health problems, like diabetes, heart disease, obesity, depression, and the risk of falling to name just a few. Compare your options and find the Medicare plan that meets your needs.