Do AARP Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Hearing Aids?
Medicare Benefits Solutions
Aug 22, 2021
Do AARP Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Hearing Aids? Original Medicare covers many basic hospital and medical costs but may leave you with out-of-pocket expenses that can add up quickly. This is why many beneficiaries choose one of two ways available to protect themselves with additional insurance:
- Medicare Advantage: Encompasses Part A, Part B and often Part D with extra benefits
- Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap): Augments coverage you get from Original Medicare by covering deductibles, coinsurance and copayments
Medicare Hearing Coverage
Original Medicare benefits do not cover routine hearing exams or hearing aids. Medigap does not include this coverage but may offer discounts to lower your cost.
Medicare Supplement plans are standardized. This means that if you buy a supplemental plan in one state, you will have the same benefits as someone who bought the same plan in a different state.
Medicare Supplement plans are allowed to offer some benefits that extend beyond Medicare:
- Part B excess charges billed by your health care provider
- Foreign travel emergency health care
The plans do not cover:
- Long-term care
- Vision services or corrective lenses
- Dental care or dentures
- Hearing services or hearing aids
AARP and Medicare
AARP, formerly known as the American Association of Retired Persons, is registered as a nonprofit organization. It advocates for people 50 and older through lobbying and affiliation with organizations that offer various support services: legal counseling, financial services and insurance, to name a few. It offers its members information, resources, discounts and services.
AARP is not an insurer. It is a membership organization that endorses Medicare Supplement plans sold by UnitedHealthcare.
Find a new Medicare plan
Get recommendations based on what's important to you, and compare them to your existing plan.
AARP members who buy an AARP Medicare Supplement plan from UnitedHealthcare have access to:
- Nursing professionals 24/7
- Vision and dental discounts
- Hearing discounts
In 2021, AARP members with a UnitedHealthcare Medicare Supplement plan are eligible for:
- Access to screenings by certified HearUSA hearing specialists
- AARP member price plus a discount of $100 on standard or premium devices
- Extended warranties on a range of select digital hearing aids
- Support from a professional hearing health team
Medicare Advantage Plans May Cover Hearing Aids
As an alternative to Original Medicare, some Medicare Advantage (MA) plans include hearing as part of their additional benefits, but plans vary. Compare MA plans to find the one in your area that offers you the coverage for hearing aids you need at a price you can afford.
Call a licensed sales agent at
877-406-1753 or TTY 771
Mon – Sun 5am to 8pm PST
Find a plan
Get plan recommendations
Compare your current Medicare plan to our recommendations – then choose the plan that gives you more of the things you want.