Get a Monthly Allowance for Groceries with a Healthy Food Card
Did you know you may qualify for a monthly grocery allowance that you can use to buy healthy food?
What is the Medicare Grocery Allowance?
Are you wondering what is the Medicare $900 grocery benefit? To help lower the costs of healthy food for individuals who live on limited income and resources, many Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plans offer monthly food cards.
TIP: Did you know that you can use our plan finder to discover Medicare plans that include more of the nutritional and healthcare services you need such as the Medicare grocery card? Or, call today to speak with a Licensed Sales Agent who can answer your Medicare questions: 877-882-1927.
Who Qualifies for Healthy Food Card Benefit?
Is there a grocery benefit for Medicare recipients? Here are a few tips on who qualifies for a healthy food card.
- Dual-eligible Special Needs Plan (D-SNP) participants
- Have a qualifying health condition including cancer, obesity, end-stage renal disease
- Check with your plan to see if you are eligible
TIP: Learn more about dual-eligible special needs plans.
What is the grocery benefit Medicare allowance?
Learn more about the Medicare grocery card for seniors:
- Eligible members get a monthly grocery allowance
- Buy healthy food online or in person
- Shop at participating stores like Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, Kroger
- May cover meal delivery services
How can you lower the costs of your groceries and still get the nutritious food that will keep you strong and healthy? Discounts may be available through various programs, including a Medicare grocery benefit card.
TIP: Get more great healthy living and nutrition news delivered to your inbox when you subscribe to the Medicare Benefits newsletter.
What Stores Accept Health Food Cards?
It’s a good idea to verify the participating retailers applicable to your plan.
For example, here are some retailers that may accept most healthy food cards:
- Family Dollar
- Dollar General
Find a new Medicare plan
Get recommendations based on what's important to you, and compare them to your existing plan.
What Can I Buy With My Healthy Food Card?
- Fresh fruits
- Dairy, eggs, yogurt
- Fresh chicken, and poultry products
- Red meat
- Deli meat
- Fresh and frozen fish
- Bread and other grains
- Ready-to-eat foods like soup, prepared meals and sandwiches
- Baking supplies, flour, sugar, mixes for baking,
- Condiments, sauces
- Peanut butter, almond butter
- Cereal and breakfast foods
- Coffee, tea, cocoa, juice, bottled water and energy drinks
- Frozen fruits, vegetables and juices
- Ice cream, sherbet, frozen yogurt
- Prepared heat-and-eat foods
If you are interested in getting support building a nutritionally based diet, consider scheduling a session with a nutritionist. Medicare Part B covers nutrition therapy services if you have qualifying health conditions.
Are There Items I Can’t Buy with Healthy Options Allowance?
Top items you can’t buy with the grocery benefit include:
- Cigarettes, tobacco and vaping items
- Pet food and supplies
- Lottery tickets
- Household cleaning products
- Personal hygiene products
- Fresh flowers
Can I Buy Nonfood Items With My Card?
Some plans offer dually-eligible beneficiaries credits to purchase over-the-counter (OTC) products and qualifying groceries. Some Medicare Advantage plans have a separate OTC benefit that you can use at participating pharmacies.
Medicare Plans With Health Food Card Option
While Original Medicare and Medicaid programs are available across the United States, access to Medicare Advantage plans, sold by private insurance companies, varies by location. A licensed sales agent can research options and help you navigate plans in your area that offer healthy food card benefits.
TIP: Use the Medicare plan finder to find plans that include nutrition benefits and compare them against your existing coverage.
Call a licensed sales agent at
877-406-1753 or TTY 771
Mon – Fri 5am – 6pm PT | Sat 5am – 5pm PT | Sunday Closed
Find a plan
Get plan recommendations
Compare your current Medicare plan to our recommendations – then choose the plan that gives you more of the things you want.